The Archives contains ... archived material from the first year.
Also on Facebook
The Demise of the Local Boozer
This website is the home of the Dead Pubs Society. It uses the Mediawiki software.
Discussion can be read and written on the discussion page (See tab at top of this page) or In the Village (see link above)
What about customers taking over their threatened boozer? aha! a new TV programme on Blighty, but also a good idea? Raven Inn, Llanarrnon - http://www.raveninn.co.uk/
Our sibling wiki is the Dead Cafe Society
Online since 2004.
- The Cross Keys, 1 Lawrence Street, London, SW3 5NB
- The Phene Arms, 9, Phene St, London, SW3 5NY
Public houses are closing down in London and elsewhere in the UK. This site will be a record of that change of the cultural and social landscape.
The pub, in the country, was the social focus of a community. These days, you need a grant, a mission statement and a series of meetings. In the old days, a meeting in the upstairs room was all that was needed. There was a cricket team, a darts team or just a game of skittles.
Pubs are worth more as advertising space: see The Londoner, The White Horse in Stepney, The Queen Victoria and The Foundry which has a very large advertising space above it with the premises behind the hoarding is unused.
Possibly there is signs of political will to change this;
"The latest figures from the Campaign for Real Ale show that in the first half of this year another 166 pubs closed in London. Nationally, two pubs close every day. One can blame the level of duty, the smoking ban and the fall in consumer confidence. But that's not the whole story. In the past four years more than 3200 pubs have shut, and many of those were outlets owned by the pubcos.
Well, their time is up. Business Secretary Vince Cable will have to tell the Select Committee what he intends to do within the next two months. There could then be another three months of consultation before legislation is introduced early next year. A statutory regulator - Offtothepub, no doubt- could be in place by next summer. It must have teeth and be unafraid to use them..." Nick Goodway 22-9-11 ES
"local services includes, but is not restricted to, retail outlets, public houses, banks, health facilities, including hospitals and pharmacies, legal services, social housing, post offices, schools, public eating places, leisure facilities and open spaces"
The above quote is from the Sustainable Communities Act 2007 (see  and ). The public house appear alongside health facilities and social housing. With pubs closing every day, and cheap alcohol available in supermarkets at a fraction of the cost of that that in a pub. The Chancellor now takes �1.14 in duty, VAT and other costs (e.g. employee National Insurance) for every pint sold in a pub. This is killing pubs.
Pubs saved, reopened, refurbished
Fuller's plan to take over the Pilot Inn in River Way, North Greenwich, which was due for demolition.
- The Barge has closed
- Public House Bibliography
- Live Pubs we know and love or not
- Miscellaneous disinfotainement
- The Lost Pubs Project with more than 12,000 pubs listed!
- last_orders_at_the_bar following on from Chris Etchells photographs
- See also The Demise of the Great British Pub
- London pubs in the 1890's - transcripts from Charles Booth's notebooks
- http://web.onetel.com/~annemmerson/ is a mine of information
- five pubs near ...? stick in a postcode.....
- Randomness Guide to London
- London Drinker Magazine
- Obscure suburban pubs
- UK Cider wiki
- Through a Glass Darkly compares the software industry with the brewing industry.
- Richmond & Hounslow CAMRA branch area pubs
- WikiProject Beer at Wikipedia.org
- John's Pub List
- Pub History Society "was initiated in February 2001 to help bring together like minded individuals who enjoy some aspect of pub history."
- The Pink Past - Gay Life in the Eighties
- London Skittles
- Another 'dead pubs' page around SW8
- London Pubs displaying Defunct Drewery Livery
- Charles Brown's Funeral
- Photopolis, Photos of London, Pub Page
- Dead Pubs
- Open Source Beer
- Barcrawl "Pub Crawl generator and Pub guide"
- Derelict London Cafes
- Dying for the Pub Trade
- Closed Pubs Project